Netflix, once a pioneer in the video entertainment business, is now turning into a "has been".
For the first time in a decade, Netflix lost customers.
"The streaming giant is scrambling to find new sources of revenue growth, with execs hoping to monetize password-sharing freeloaders and — previously unthinkable at the Big Red N — planning to introduce advertising-supported plans."
Here are 10 Ways Netflix Can Get Back On Track
1. Offer a real "review" solution. There is nothing more tiring that having to Google the reviews of a movie or series you never heard of. Maybe buy Rotten Tomatoes?
2. Highlight the shows I have ALREADY watched. Nothing more frustrating that clicking on a program to see that I already watched it...or worse I started to watch it and turned it off after a few minutes. (where are your algorithms Netflix?)
3. STOP changing the thumbnails to trick me into clicking a program I have already watched. "Oh is this a new Bill Burr special?" NO, Netflix just changed the thumbnail and tricked me into clicking on it.
4. Introduce a "sharing" feature in social media. How many times do I have to ask my friends "seen anything good on Netflix?". Either "Share this on social media or through email".
5. Start poaching some of the creative talent on YouTube and Twitter. There are some brilliant minds on those channels. Offer them to have their own special on Netflix. YouTube pays peanuts, this would be a no brainer.
6. Offer a "suggestion" box for content. Let people share some of their creative video work for a chance to get exposed on Netflix.
7. Have a Siskel Ebert type channel. A channel each week that reviews new listings.
8. Take a clue from the Discovery Channel and offer more survival type content. Very low budget to produce and based on the Dual Survival, Naked and Afraid, Dude You're Screwed demand...this is a big niche.
9. Find a way to embed links into the content. If you're threatening to introduce ads, why not make product placement interactive?
10. BIG IDEA. Offer a category called "Politically Incorrect". Be daring and let people see content that we REALLY want to see. Put some bullshit "I accept that the content I am about see my be offensive" so people can shut their piehole about being offended.
Here is your chance to give people what they REALLY want to see but are too afraid to do it on their own.