Monday, November 07, 2005
Mobile Marketing Is Coming
Brands and advertisers should ask themselves, "Am I ready?"
From Network World Get ready for mobile marketing
* The mobile phone is positioned to become the dominant e-commerce platform.
* There are more than 2 billion mobile phone users worldwide. The number of mobile phones sold each year - more than 600 million - dwarfs the number of PCs sold
* Mobile phone operators are sitting on a marketing gold mine
* The average consumer might be willing to trade a little privacy for lower phone rates and some cool applications.
* The mobile phone operator's most valuable asset is its billing system
* Some unique mobile marketing applications are emerging.
Semacode has developed a technology that connects camera phone users to a vendor's Web site when they point the camera at a special bar code containing the URL and clicks.
Mobot takes that concept a step further with its visual search technology: The user photographs a product label and is connected to related information and offers.
It's a safe bet that hundreds of millions of users will accept some targeted marketing in exchange for service discounts or other perks. THIS IS KEY.
When a perk is offered, THEN the user will give permission for mobile marketing.
Yes, mobile marketing is coming.