Friday, August 19, 2005

Froogle Goes Mobile

From MacWorld Google offers Froogle Mobile

Google UK has revealed Froogle Mobile, a price-checking service for mobile phones. Type in http://wml.froogle.com

Based on Google's search technology, the service offers Froogle's full complement of price ranges and comparison and shop and product ratings and reviews.

The service means high-street shoppers can quickly check to see if a better bargain is available online.

I went to Froogle Mobile and typed in a barcode 042283156326. I got several listings of online retailers that sell it pretty cheap.

I still think price comparison shopping using a mobile phone will never take off and is a big waste of optical character recognition technology, but I also thought.."why do I need download software to scan a barcode when I can just type in the number?"

I know what the other price comparison services will say about Froogle mobile, "they don't provide a way to click to the online retailer and buy, we do".

There HAS TO BE ANOTHER reason to "turn on" a physical object besides price comparison.

No comments: